How to Start a Non Profit Organization
The idea of a non-profit is both rewarding and challenging but, if you are passionate about your cause and believes your organization can make a difference in one person’s life then with dedication and direction you can be successful.
Here are a few tips to get you started
- Create your organizations’ vision and mission statement. These statements will provide the overall direction and functional strategy for your business.
- Create a board of directors by getting family and friends, that can commit and participate in the vision and purpose of your nonprofit organization. It would help if you knew someone with prior nonprofit experience.
- Draft and file your organizations articles of incorporation with the office of the Secretary of State.
- You may want to contract with a corporate attorney to review your documents.
- Compose your organizational bylaws. These are the operational rules that your business board of directors will use to govern and direct the efforts of the organization.
- Develop a marketing plan to obtain funding or, research and apply for grant funding to provide operational funds to start your venture.
- Open an organizational bank account.
- Develop a system to manage all funds generated for the organization. It’s imperative to keep good records.
- Apply for tax exempt status with the Internal Revenue Service IRS.
- Record all and keep all meeting minutes
- Apply for a federal Employer Identification Number EIN
- Lastly, produce and promote your programs and organizational brand and image through social media.